THE IMPORTANCE OF SPEAKING
It´s important that teachers help students to develop speaking and oral interaction skill. The goal is students can communicate in simple and routines tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar topics and activities. They must be able to maintain a simple conversation.
To facilitate the development of these skills teachers should pre-syntactic conversation structure rather than grammar sentence structure; a conversational mode both provides interactive examples and exchange models of FL. Moreover, teachers can provide visual (and general non verbal) support (pictures, gestures, facial expressions, etc.); they are crucial to help comprehension of the new language and possibilities to interact.
How to organise a speaking/oral interaction activity
1. Contextualise the activity and engage the learners
2. Revise (/Teach) the language the learners will need to produce in the activity
- By modelling the language
- By drilling the language (words, phrases, sentences)
3. Give instructions for the activity
4. Distribute hand-outs
5. Organise groups/pairs
6. Let the activity start
7. Monitor the activity
8. Provide feedback
9. Get learners to reflect on the activity