We have consider important to reflect on the role of anxiety in foreign language teaching.
At first, it is very important to understand the concept of foreign language anxiety:
With other words:
- Communication apprehension: the fear of communicating in the target language in front of others.
- Fear of negative evaluation: the worry about how others view the speaker.
- Test anxiety: consider oral production as a test situation.
We think that the following teacher's interventions can help to reduce this anxiety:
- Attack negatives thoughts: many anxious students actually provoke their anxiety by setting unreasonable standars for their performance.
- Students-centered lessons: teachers should take into account if an activity may be embarrassing or anxiety-provoking for students.
- Create opportunities to discuss anxiaty: it is beneficial to know that other people experience this kind of feelings.